I made a list of things that I find either difficult or impossible. Some people look at me like I’ve got 6 heads when I try to explain many of them. I think my parents were always in denial that anything was wrong with me, but they wrote me off as being “practical, not academical” when I was around 13-14 and expressed interest in going to university. The funny thing is, I have never been ‘practical’ either. I am not only terrible with my hands, but I am slow and downright clumsy. My learning difficulties were never addressed and I was allowed to drift. I’m paying for my mistakes now, having no degree or any formal qualifications beyond UK high school GCSE’s.
Seemingly ‘Simple’ Things That I Struggle With Or Am Unable To Do Alone
- Tying or braiding my hair. I can’t do this at all and in the past, people have done it for me. Its a major pain, because I have long hair and I live in a place that has a lot of wind. I can’t even use hair ties.
- Fastening necklaces and some bracelets. Just like the tying my hair issue, this is something else I cannot do on my own.
- Assembling boxes. Its not that I can’t do this, but it takes me longer than most people.
- Food preparation. I’m actually a very good cook, just as my mother and her mother before her is / was. However, I am very prone to dropping things and breaking crockery and utensils. I constantly spill things, although I am always quick to clean up any mess.
- Video games. There are many video games I just can’t play, especially if they involve the use of quick button combinations. Fortunately, most of the games I like are fantasy RPGs, which are generally slow pace and more cerebral.
- Store checkouts Paying at the checkout is always an anxiety provoking thing for me anyway, but I often drop cards, money and make a fool of myself. I also struggle with self-service checkouts and I take longer than most people to use them.
- Eating. Sometimes I embarrass myself when eating, because of my tendency to drop cutlery or spill something. It is one of the reasons why I don’t like eating in front of other people.
- Clothing items that tie or button. I struggle with some items of clothing, especially certain bras, bikinis and some dresses. I cannot tie or fasten anything on my neck or back. Buttons are often difficulty for me too.